Syllabus for B.Sc (Microbiology)
12th passed in Science
The duration of the course shall be full time five academic years. Each academic year shall be divided into two semesters.
Programme Outcome (PO) & Programme Specific Outcomes (PSO)
Programme Outcome (PO)
- PO 1: Knowledge: The students acquire strong theoretical background along with basic skills in microbiological sciences and have the ability to use this knowledge in industry, hospitals, community and institutes or any other profession they would like to pursue.
- PO 2: Core Competence: Microbiology offers challenges to human intellect to find out the cause of deadly diseases in plants and animals at large and in humans in particular. At the same time, it also provides clues for finding out the remedy for diseases in the form of medicines. Microbiology plays an important role in developing many useful products for man and cleaning the environment.
- PO 3: Breadth: Microbiology, being a specialized branch of biology deals with the effect of microorganisms on other living organisms. The health of humans and existence of life on earth largely depend on microbial interactions.
- PO 4: Preparation: The curriculum is designed in such a way that in the first year the students are exposed to the fundamental aspects of plant science, animal science, microbial world and chemistry. Subsequently, they are made to learn specialized aspects such as enzymology, immunology, bacteriology, virology, pathology, genetic engineering etc. During the final year the students are supposed to work on the project of practical application.
- PEO 5: Professionalism: The career opportunities to choose from as a microbiologist are manifold. A post graduate degree in microbiology will qualify them for technical, research, and clinical positions.
- PEO 6: Evaluation: Academic performance evaluation of a student is according to a letter grading system = Total of Continuous Internal Evaluation (CIE) + Semester End Examination (SEE).
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSO)
After successful completion of the program Graduates will be able to ;
- Find out the cause of deadly diseases in plants and animals at large and in humans in particular.
- Provide clues for finding out the remedy for diseases in the form of medicine.
- Developing many useful products for man and cleaning the environment.